Introduction to SPSS
Chapter 1 Overview of the Workshop
There are four sections to this workshop:
- Chapter 2: The Basics of SPSS
- Chapter 3: Working with Variables
- Chapter 4: Understanding Data Management Tasks
- Chapter 5: Understanding Graphical & Statistical Procedures, Msc.
These sections will generally be presented in sequence. The discussion will alternate between theory and practice. The format will alternate between lecture and lab sessions. Please ask questions as soon as they arise in your mind. Please provide feedback or voice concerns.
There is additionally an Appendix which primarily houses the exercise solutions, as well as a collection of additional, more advanced, exercises.
1.1 Contact information
These notes have evolved over the years thanks to many CSCAR statisticians, including Corey Powell, Josh Errickson, Giselle Kolenic, and Missy Plegue.
This material was created for use in workshops and short courses presented by faculty and staff from the Consulting for Statistics, Computing & Analytics Research (CSCAR) at the University of Michigan. No part of this material may be used for other purposes, copied, changed, or sold.
All images embedded within the document should link to a full-size version of the image.
There are a number of data sets used in these notes; some used for the examples, others for the execises.
data.zip - This zip files contains all data used within the notes.
1.4.1 Example Data
1.4.2 Exercise Data
- Exercise 0: exercise0_data.sav, exercise0_output.spv, exercise0_syntax.sps (You may need to right-click & Save As for the .sps file)
- Exercise 1: exercise1_data.sav
- Exercise 2: exercise2_data.xls
- Exercise 3: exercise3_data.sav
- Exercise 4: exercise4_data.sav
- Exercise 5: exercise5_data.sav
- Exercise 6: exercise6_data.sav
- Exercise 7: exercise7_data.sav
- Exercise 8: exercise8_data.sav